Sunday, July 10, 2011

The High Five State.

I am not quite sure there is any state more lovely than Michigan or more deserving of a high five. Bold statement (I know) and I may be a little bias (it's home). But, I came to the realization this past weekend when I went on a West Coast adventure stopping in numerous lakeside towns without a specific agenda or itinerary. From Saugatuck to South Haven, Holland to Grand Haven and all the places in between, each town has its own charming features, major and minor attractions.

Some of my (new) favorite Michigan spots? On the drive from Spring Lake near Grand Haven to another Haven further South, a pit stop was made at Phil's Bar and Grille in Saugatuck. It was DELICIOUS. Rumor has it, back in the day even Hemingway dug the eats at Phil's. I recommend the pesto and white cheddar pizza topped with serrano ham, apples and spinach. It's on the appetizer menu, but it's so good, you'll want to make it your main course.

After refueling in Saugutuck, the adventure led us to many antique malls and shops along the way. There is one in particular that stands out -- Sunset Junque in South Haven on the grand ol' Blue Star Highway. As the name suggests it is full of antiques and funky junk. From old broaches to giant pizzas made of wood there is a whole jungle of sites to see. I made a purchase, but it wasn't an antique or junk -- surprisingly enough. Rather, I bought a pillow with a vintage postcard from  Hawaii screen printed on it. It has a cute little message on it and will find a comfy new home on my couch.

There was so much to see and I captured a few snapshots of the journey. You can get a taste of Sunset Junque in the slideshow below! Hopefully, you'll get the itch to explore Pure Michigan -- no map or itinerary needed, because sometimes when you least expect it you find the greatest things (in the Great Lakes State).



2 comments:

  1. Neat post! I just tweeted it. :)
    I love MI so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so very much, Chelsea! I agree what's not to love, right!? Michigan is quite the gem, full of great things to do no matter the city of season!

    ReplyDelete