Monday, October 15, 2012

One Man's Trash




I am absolutely taken with The Dumpster Project. Maybe it is because I can relate to it, or because I love old treasures and stories, or because I've never seen a collage I didn't like -- ok, let's be real, it is all of those things.

Artist, Mac Premo, has accumulated a lot of stuff over his years of life and when downsizing his studio he needed to do something with it all. What better way to "clean house" than by incorporating it into a display/project?

Around 500 objects are now housed in a 30 yard dumpster -- not to be shipped off to a landfill but, to make its way around the design and art show circuit. While I would imagine the best part is walking into the dumpster and seeing everything perfectly pieced together, I'm a fan of  Mac Premo's narratives that go along with each piece. Everything has a story. 

"I think that we define ourselves through the things that we collect and the things that we keep...subsequently those objects become a record of who you are..."

Check out Mac Premo's explanation of the project below and don't forget to visit his blog to see the stories that come with the pieces! What would you include if you had your very own "dumpster project?"


No comments:

Post a Comment