Friday, May 28, 2010

The Drifter.

The June edition of Vogue has Blake Lively on the cover. If you flip open the magazine and look at the spread you notice this man that is in almost every shot -- he's hard to ignore. He has crazy, dread-like, hair, a beard, is tanned and toned. Overall, his appearance is exotic and I can understand why Vogue would use him in a photoshoot for the month of June. If you're just a person from the midwest this guy, probably, means nothing to you, other than he makes the photos look better. However, he intrigued me. Vogue just doesn't use anyone to spice up photos. Upon further investigation I found that this scruffy yet stylish man was Rob Machado.


(Image from Vogue.com)


Rob Machado is a professional surfer, hence why I didn't recognize him at first glance in the magazine. He was born in Sydney, Australia but grew up in California and now proudly resides in Cardiff-by-the-Sea. He's a pretty talented guy and has won many surfing titles in his lifetime. He often times refered to as a "surf guru."

So, as I'm finding information on Machado something keeps popping up in the search engines -- The Drifter. The Drifter is a documentary that Machado put together about his travels through Indonesia. I, actually, ended up watching it online last night. It's only an hour long and while I wish some of it weren't staged I really enjoyed it. The images combined with the soundtrack and Machado's story are awesome and I would recommend it.

Check out the trailer! If you're in for feeling like summer has officially started, or you just want to see some great images of Indonesia and Machado tearing up waves definitely search for the full version of the film.



Listen to the full soundtrack of the film here.

Here is an interview ESPN did with Machado about his photoshoot for Vogue.

Rob Machado's official website.

No comments:

Post a Comment