The past 24 hours of my life has been dominated with talk of golf. A kid was telling me about how he had a tee time this morning (I hope he decided against playing because the weather is horrible), my dad sent me an article about a crazy tournament fiasco involving a Notre Dame competitor, I saw Tiger on the news (of course), so on and so forth.
When I stumbled upon something called Street Golf, I decided I better investigate. Unfortunately, I do not speak fluent French, so the best site describing the recent phenomena was a little hard for me to understand (the translation button on the top wasn't working either).
Still, from a few other websites and news reports I gathered some information.
Supposedly, Street Golf is not a new trend. It originated in Germany in the 1990s. The sport has now made waves in countries like England, The U.S. and France. Street Golf is a rebelious and fun way for people to take a country club sport and play in alley ways and sidewalks.
There are groups of people, like the 19th Hole Collective, who plan tournaments and establish rules to play by. The 19th Hole Collective has created a World Urban Golf Day that takes place in September. The 2010 tournament will be in Paris and is set up to be 9 holes around 9 different monuments. You can sign up to play at their website!
Check out the videos below, as well. The first is a report BBC News did on Street Golf, the second is produced by the 19th Hole Collective (I dig the guy's shades).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8332329.stm
When I stumbled upon something called Street Golf, I decided I better investigate. Unfortunately, I do not speak fluent French, so the best site describing the recent phenomena was a little hard for me to understand (the translation button on the top wasn't working either).
Still, from a few other websites and news reports I gathered some information.
Supposedly, Street Golf is not a new trend. It originated in Germany in the 1990s. The sport has now made waves in countries like England, The U.S. and France. Street Golf is a rebelious and fun way for people to take a country club sport and play in alley ways and sidewalks.
There are groups of people, like the 19th Hole Collective, who plan tournaments and establish rules to play by. The 19th Hole Collective has created a World Urban Golf Day that takes place in September. The 2010 tournament will be in Paris and is set up to be 9 holes around 9 different monuments. You can sign up to play at their website!
Check out the videos below, as well. The first is a report BBC News did on Street Golf, the second is produced by the 19th Hole Collective (I dig the guy's shades).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8332329.stm
Street Golf Team - Le 19ème Trou from Lionel Hirlé on Vimeo.
(For more: Trend Magazine Paris and 19mtrou.com)
No comments:
Post a Comment